How Yoga brought out the Minimalist in Me
The Journey from Compulsiveness to Conscious Living
I guess I was quite the hoarder and I loved to hold onto things.
I am mostly talking about the physical things but I also held onto thoughts; the same old conflicting thoughts on life, on people, on everything!
And I also held onto a routine, I would rather call it as a regime!
I gather I had lived my life in my Mind for most of my Life. And when I was faced with a dimension that was not in my perspective, I was overwhelmed and intrigued.
The past 4 years have helped me to seek the beauty of Life; by meeting and learning from people from various walks of life, by exploring avenues which were completely new to me, by traveling in the vales and mountains of Himalayas and Western Ghats and by exploring different dimensions or perspectives through Yoga and Meditation.
So how did Yoga bring about Minimalism into my life, let’s look into that.
A few years later and a year ago, I attended a program called Sadhanapada hosted by Isha Foundation; it is a residential program where one is able to indulge in Yogic practices, Volunteering work and of course inner growth. The conducive spaces and the conscious living aspects had made me a much better person that I am today!
This program had me experience Minimalism in Real Life!
So, I have been practising Yoga for almost 4 years now!
Leading a Conscious Life has been a journey and an invigorating experience.
Yogic practices and Meditation has helped me to tread upon the inner journey.
Few of the Benefits of Yoga are:
- I am able to complete tasks quickly
- My concentration levels have increased
- I am able to perform physical chores or tasks better
- I feel lighter in my body
- There is a sense of calmness within myself no matter the situation
- I am consciously able to focus on the present moment all the time
- My interaction with other people is joyful and at ease
Though there are many more subtle benefits that I have experienced, I would be unable to express or explain them out here.
What is Minimalism?
Minimalism is not just an attitude, it is a way of life! It is a continual process of discarding unwanted and unnecessary things; be it material things or relationships or thoughts or activities!
Minimalism can make a difference in making a SPACE:
- Physically- By discarding unused, unwanted things
- Emotionally- By discarding abusive relationships
- Spiritually- By delving deep into oneself and acknowledging what we are
- Energetically- By being open to Life and being Joyful no matter the situation
Thanks to Yoga, Minimalism has become a way of Life in every sense. Here are some of the instances or benefits which have come by:
- It has helped me to avoid frivolous shopping and hoarding of things
- I am not bothered about the end result of a task or activity as long as I am utterly involved in the present moment
- It has helped me to discard a whole lot of things; physical things and emotional thoughts.
- Reduce my time on OTT platforms / Idiot box
- I spend little time in figuring out what to wear, I consciously clean my wardrobe and discard unused clothes
- I don’t overthink, all I have to do is the tasks at hand
- I am in a state of balance or joy always no matter the situation
- I am grateful for the things and people in my life
- I am able to spend quality time with my folks
- Volunteering for Projects related to Human Consciousness and Environment has become my choice not a past-time
So, Yoga has helped me to live consciously and Minimalism has become my way of Life!
So, have you had a similar experience? All ears…